PHC Pest Review
Threat: Larger Eight toothed spruce bark beetle (Ips typographus)
Sector: Forestry, Environment
Key Priorities and Recommendations
- Build awareness in the sector (including forest managers, felling contractors and hauliers) to look out for and report suspect trees.
- Refine detection and surveillance methodologies.
- Keep contingency plan updated on basis of latest information and experience gained in eradicating Kent population.
- Maintain links with European researchers to parameterise models that inform contingency planning and outbreak management.
- Research the likely behaviour in Scottish conditions.